Last Revised: August 10, 2018
www.gaiavitality.com is a website founded by The Gaia Vitality Corporation, who are passionate about the health protective benefits of high phenolic extra virgin olive oils and other healthful foods. The gaiavitality.com website is the on-line platform for the sales and distribution of exceptional quality extra virgin olive oils throughout North America.
This policy applies to personal data regarding individuals with who do business or who visits the Gaia Vitality website and to the use of that personal data in any form – whether oral, electronic or written.
What personal information do we collect?
The term “personal data” in this Policy refers to information that does or is capable of identifying you as an individual.
Gaia Vitality collects information about you whenever you use our services as you provide it to us. Examples of using our Services include visiting or making purchases on our website, creating a Gaia Vitality account, joining Gaia Vitality rewards programs, downloading a Gaia Vitality mobile application, contacting Gaia Vitality customer service, and participating in our promotions.
The information we collect falls into three categories:
1. Information we collect from you;
2. Information we collect when you use our services; and
3. Information we collect from other sources.
The types of personal data that we collect includes: your first and/or last name, your email address, your physical address, your mailing address, your phone number, your date of birth, information about how you use our website (e.g. which pages you have viewed, the time you have viewed them and what you clicked on), information about your mobile device (such as your geographical location), and your contact preferences.
How do we use your personal data?
When you use Gaia Vitality services, we may collect information about the services you use and how you use them. As part of our efforts to constantly improve our services and products, we collect this information to ensure that we our continually providing our best for you, in a secure on-line environment.
Generally, we may use the information we collect from you in the following ways:
• to process your purchases of products and services
• to communicate with you about orders, purchases, services, and accounts
• to administer a contest, promotion, survey or other site feature
• to respond to your customer service inquiries and requests for information
• to post your comments or statements on our websites and social media platforms
• to personalize your experience and to allow us to deliver the type of content and product offerings in which you are most interested
• to maintain and improve our sites and the products and services we offer by using tracking technologies such as cookies
• to detect, prevent, or investigate security breaches or fraud
• to maintain appropriate records for internal administrative purposes
• to verify your identity
• to verify the material which you wish to have published on our website
• to market to our mailing list or continue to send emails to our clients after the original transaction has occurred
Information we collect from other sources.
Gaia Vitality also collects information that is publicly available, to the extent permitted by applicable law. For example, we may collect information you submit to a blog, a chat room, or a social network like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter or Google+.
Managing Your Preferences
You can opt out of receiving promotional emails, text messages, telephone calls, and mailings by making us of the “unsubscribe” link in the emails, informing us of your preference at the time you sign up for an Gaia Vitality account, when contacting our customer service team by phone, modifying your promotional preferences online in your account’s profile management section, adjusting your text and notification preferences in your mobile device’s settings or by following the opt-out instructions in the promotional emails we send you.
Alternatively, you may let us know that you do not wish to receive some or all of these promotional communications by emailing us at the addresses provided in the “Contact Us” section below.
Please note that if you opt out of receiving promotional messages from us, we may still send you non-promotional communications, including emails about your accounts or purchases.
Accessing or Correcting your information
You have the right, under certain circumstances, to access and correct information we hold about you. Any such access request must be in writing and provided to us at the email address provided in the “Contact us” section below. Any such access request may be subject to a small statutory fee to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you, where permitted by applicable law.
We may disclose the information you provide to us to our related companies.
For us to make certain services available to you, we may need to share your personal data with some of our service providers. These include IT and marketing service providers.
We only allow our service providers to handle your personal data when we have confirmed that they apply appropriate data protection and security controls. We also impose contractual obligations on service providers relating to data protection and security, which mean they can only use your data to provide services to us and to you, and for no other purposes.
Aside from our service providers, we will not disclose your personal data to any third-party, except as set out below. We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your Personal Data unless we provide users with advance notice.
We may share your personal data with governmental bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies, courts/tribunals and insurers where we are required to do so:
• to comply with our legal obligations
• to exercise our legal rights (for example in court cases)
• for the prevention, detection, investigation or crime or prosecution of offenders
• for the protection of our employees
Links to Third-Party Websites
Websites that are owned by Gaia Vitality may contain links to other third-party websites, plug-ins and applications. Clicking on those links or enabling those connections may allow third-parties to collect or share data about you. Gaia Vitality neither owns nor controls these third-party websites and assumes no responsibility for the information practices of those websites. You should inform yourself with the privacy policies (if any) of those third-party websites.
How do we hold and protect your information and for how long?
Gaia Vitality makes reasonable efforts to ensure that any personal information you provide is maintained in a secure environment. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. While we strive to protect your personal information, Gaia Vitality cannot warrant the security of any personal information you transmit to us or from our on-line services, and you do so at your own risk.
Gaia Vitality has implemented and maintains reasonable and appropriate security measures, procedures and practices to protect against the loss and unauthorized access, use, modification, destruction or disclosure of your personal information while it is in our custody or under our control. For example, we use SSL encryption, firewalls, anti-virus and system security monitoring.
We also limit access to your personal information to those employees, contractors and agents who have a business need to know.
Gaia Vitality will not retain your data for longer than necessary to fulfil the purposes set out in this Policy. Different retention periods apply for different types of data. The longest we will normally hold any personal data is 10 years however this period may be longer, for instance, if you continue to wish to have a research article written by you published on this site.
Legal basis for using data
We collect and use your personal data because it is necessary for:
• the pursuit of our legitimate interests
• to comply with our legal obligations.
With respect to marketing, we rely on consent as a legal basis for processing personal data in relation to sending direct marketing communications to you via email.
Where consent is the only legal basis for processing your personal data, we will cease to process data after consent is withdrawn. You may withdraw consent at any time.
Our legitimate interests
In most cases, the legal basis for our processing of personal data, is that it is necessary for our legitimate interests. Our legitimate interests include:
• providing an information portal in relation to particular subject matter
• seeking and collating information, including research data and material, papers, opinions, these and other information which relates to the subject matter of the website
• inviting people to submit information to our website, and verifying:
• accuracy of that information
• the identity of the submitter of the information
• the background (in particular, the professional background) of the submitter.
• Inviting people to subscribe to the website
• Improving the services that the website offers
• Understanding our subscribers’ behaviors, activities, preferences and needs
• Promoting, marketing and advertising the website and its content
• Handling subscribers’ contacts, queries, complaints or disputes
You have the following rights in respect of your personal data:
• the right to ask for a copy of personal data that we hold about you (the right of access)
• the right (in certain circumstances) to request that we delete personal data held on you where we no longer have any legal reason to retain it (the right of erasure or to be forgotten)
• the right to ask us to update and correct any out-of-date or incorrect personal data that we hold about you (the right of rectification)
• the right to opt out of any marketing communications that we may send you and to object to us using / holding your personal data if we have no legitimate reasons to do so (the right to object)
• the right (in certain circumstances) to ask us to ‘restrict processing of data’; which means that we would need to secure and retain the data for your benefit but not otherwise use it (the right to restrict processing); and
• the right (in certain circumstances) to ask us to supply you with some of the personal data we hold about you in a structured machine-readable format and/or to provide a copy of the data in such a format to another organization (the right to data portability).
If you wish to exercise any of the above rights, please contact us using the contact details set out below. To protect your privacy and the privacy of others, we may need evidence of your identity before we can grant you access to information about you or change it.
Deleting your account
If you want to cancel or delete your account, you may do so in writing at the email or postal address provided in the “Contact Us” section below. We will make every effort to promptly respond to your request. We will retain your information for as long as your account is active or as needed to provide you Services, such as product returns or warranties. If you ask us to delete your account, we generally retain and use your account information only as long as necessary to fulfill a business or law enforcement need.
Personal data of Minors
We do not intend for our websites or online services to be used by anyone under the age of thirteen (13). If you are under the age of thirteen (13), please do not use our services, and if you are over the age of thirteen (13) but under the age of majority in the province in which you reside, you should use our Services with the involvement and permission of a parent or legal guardian. If you are a parent or guardian and believe we may have collected information about a child, please contact us as described in the “Contact Us” section below.
We welcome your questions, comments and concerns about privacy. You may use this form to ask Gaia Vitality a privacy question or correct personal information found in your Gaia Vitality profile, mobile application, or another Gaia Vitality-owned digital property. You can contact our Privacy Officer by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.