With fresh organic spinach and a mustard dressing, this flavourful salad is a summertime favourite and a perfect main dish for a healthful plant-based lunch. The citrus adds sweetness, bitterness and colour. Feel free to mix it up with other fresh leafy greens, use tangerines instead of oranges and add in some roasted nuts for a little crunch.
- 1/4 cup High Phenolic EVOO
- 12 small beets (unpeeled)
- 1/2 small red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 large blood orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 1/4 cup red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 12 cups fresh organic spinach
- Sea Salt & Fresh Ground Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- Place beets in a medium baking dish and coat with a light drizzle of olive oil. Cover with foil and bake until tender. (Approx. 1hr 15mins). Let cool, then peel and quarter.
- Meanwhile, place the sliced onion in a small bowl, add vinegar and a pinch of salt, mix well and let stand for about 1 hour.
- Peel orange and grapefruit and remove the pith and release the fruit sections from the membrane. Cut into bite size pieces.
- In a separate bowl, whisk 1/4 cup olive oil with dijon mustard and the vinegar from the onion slices. Salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl add the drained onion, spinach, beets and citrus.
- Lightly toss and drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss well again.
- For a less vinegary dressing, reduce the red wine vinegar from the onion slices by half. Instead drizzle over individual servings with a Balsamic Glaze.
- Top with a sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds and almonds for extra flavour.